Larrivee "L" size
Ed Edelenbos
2005-03-14 21:17:54 UTC
I know the answer is to go out and try them but... there isn't a Larrivee
dealer close. I'd like some thoughts and opinions on a Larrivee "L" size.
Specifically, if it is possible how it would relate to a dread (of similar
woods, sapele and sitka in this case). The L has a slightly smaller upper
bout and waist, and is a bit deeper.

Anyone out there had a chance to compare the 2?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
When replying via email, replace spam with speak in the address.
JD
2005-03-14 21:41:42 UTC
Post by Ed Edelenbos
I know the answer is to go out and try them but... there isn't a Larrivee
dealer close. I'd like some thoughts and opinions on a Larrivee "L" size.
Specifically, if it is possible how it would relate to a dread (of similar
woods, sapele and sitka in this case). The L has a slightly smaller upper
bout and waist, and is a bit deeper.
Anyone out there had a chance to compare the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
The L is better balanced and a good deal more versatile than a dred. Also
more comfortable to play sitting down. If you're strictly a flatpicker,
stick with a dred. L's are a lot like OM's and Taylor X14's.

JD
Ed Edelenbos
2005-03-14 22:00:14 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Ed Edelenbos
I know the answer is to go out and try them but... there isn't a Larrivee
dealer close. I'd like some thoughts and opinions on a Larrivee "L" size.
Specifically, if it is possible how it would relate to a dread (of similar
woods, sapele and sitka in this case). The L has a slightly smaller upper
bout and waist, and is a bit deeper.
Anyone out there had a chance to compare the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
The L is better balanced and a good deal more versatile than a dred. Also
more comfortable to play sitting down. If you're strictly a flatpicker,
stick with a dred. L's are a lot like OM's and Taylor X14's.
JD
Thanks JD. I have a Larrivee Parlor, a Taylor x12 (actually a 422 maple),
and the jumbo on it's way. It occurs to me that the dread size (which ought
to be just about between the x12 (OM-ish) and jumbo) is the one that's
missing. I have a line on a L-01 for a good price. Actually, it's a price
I could probably easily get back so I'm thinking I'm going to go for it.
See that... gas hits and all logic (re: buying an untried guitar via mail)
flies out the window. (Grin)
Ed
Geezer
2005-03-14 22:15:48 UTC
Post by Ed Edelenbos
Post by JD
Post by Ed Edelenbos
[...]
Don't hesitate...go for it.
Geezer
Big Bone Bailey
2005-03-15 04:22:55 UTC
Post by Ed Edelenbos
Post by JD
Post by Ed Edelenbos
[...]
Ed, email me offline, please.

Tony
--
"Politics is the art of controlling your environment"

- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

To reply, knock off Nixon
Paul Asbell
2005-03-15 04:12:28 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Ed Edelenbos
I know the answer is to go out and try them but... there isn't a Larrivee
dealer close. I'd like some thoughts and opinions on a Larrivee "L" size.
Specifically, if it is possible how it would relate to a dread (of similar
woods, sapele and sitka in this case). The L has a slightly smaller upper
bout and waist, and is a bit deeper.
Anyone out there had a chance to compare the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
The L is better balanced and a good deal more versatile than a dred. Also
more comfortable to play sitting down. If you're strictly a flatpicker,
stick with a dred. L's are a lot like OM's and Taylor X14's.
JD
JD's answer agrees with what I was gonna say as well. I give 'em a big
"thumbs up", personally... the L-03 offers great bang/buck.

Paul
www.paulasbell.com
pasbell "at" paulasbell.com
(to post me, first replace "at" with @)
Geezer
2005-03-14 21:59:21 UTC
Post by Ed Edelenbos
I know the answer is to go out and try them but... there isn't a Larrivee
dealer close. I'd like some thoughts and opinions on a Larrivee "L" size.
Specifically, if it is possible how it would relate to a dread (of similar
woods, sapele and sitka in this case). The L has a slightly smaller upper
bout and waist, and is a bit deeper.
Anyone out there had a chance to compare the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
Have you got any Larrivee L owners nearby? That might be a solution.
You will find that they feel the same from the low end to the top end
(speaks well of QC in my opinion). The different wood combinations really do
have to be heard before you make a final decision, though.

I like the balance and feel of my L better than that of my Larrivee
dred....I also like the 1 3/4" nut width. I find it much more comfortable
that the dred's 1 11/16" nut. That's why I'm selling my D-03R.
Hey, I must like Larrivees...I've got four of em!
Geezer
RR
2005-03-14 23:09:00 UTC
Ed,

The L is fine for flatpicking too, from my point of view. It just doesn't
have the deep booming bass that one expects for a bluegrass guitar.

I have a both a D and an L & love them both as the mood strikes me.

I'm playing an L-09 rosewood as my main instrument these past few weeks.

Randy R.
Geezer
Joe Jordan
2005-03-15 02:24:05 UTC
Post by RR
I'm playing an L-09 rosewood as my main instrument these past few weeks.
If you're talking about the one you brought to The Crimson
Moon weekend before last, she's a beauty. It's actually a
special edition of some sort isn't it? For sure, the inlays
weren't standard.

Joe

______________________

Joe Jordan
Starkville, Mississippi

<<<SPAM TRAP: To email me at this address, include RMMGA anywhere in the subject!>>>
RR
2005-03-15 04:16:24 UTC
Joe,

Yes it's an L-09CE (Collector's Edition). There were 50 standard CE's made
and then 50 with a cutaway.

It has an unusual combination of trim.

http://randyr.guitarpost.com/L09CE.htm

Randy
Greg Z
2005-03-15 15:38:09 UTC
Post by Geezer
I like the balance and feel of my L better than that of my Larrivee
dred....I also like the 1 3/4" nut width. I find it much more comfortable
that the dred's 1 11/16" nut. That's why I'm selling my D-03R.
Hey, I must like Larrivees...I've got four of em!
Geezer
What he says, go for it. I've got a koa L, have had mahogany and rosewood,
too. I love Larrivees, the only issue is their necks can be a little
chunky. The 1 11/16 has been to small, and I've had different necks with
the 1 3/4. The current is a keeper, and the previous rosewood was beaten
out by the slim neck of a Martin OM-21. Larrivees are top notch through
their product line from 01 on up, they don't cut corners with materials,
just different trim.

don hindenach
2005-03-15 00:10:38 UTC
Post by Ed Edelenbos
I know the answer is to go out and try them but... there isn't a Larrivee
dealer close. I'd like some thoughts and opinions on a Larrivee "L" size.
Specifically, if it is possible how it would relate to a dread (of similar
woods, sapele and sitka in this case). The L has a slightly smaller upper
bout and waist, and is a bit deeper.
Anyone out there had a chance to compare the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
I have an OM, and agonized forever over whether to get the OM or the L.
As it turns out, the OM was the better choice for my particular needs.
But I have since had a chance to play a Larrivee D, L, and OM in the
same room and at leisure: The L has more ass than the OM and more
balance than the D. I like then a lot, even tho I can't use one. If
you are comparing to a D, my advice (going out on a limb, here, but wtf)
is go for the L and enjoy.
--
-don hindenach-
donh at audiosys dot com
Ed Edelenbos
2005-03-15 02:23:44 UTC
Thanks y'all. I really should have known what the response would be;

"It's a guitar you don't own. You need it."

Like going into a candy store and asking if my bag is full enough. (grin)

Seriously, I appreciate the input.

Ed
donh at audiosys dot com
Jenn
2005-03-15 00:35:10 UTC
Post by Ed Edelenbos
I know the answer is to go out and try them but... there isn't a Larrivee
dealer close. I'd like some thoughts and opinions on a Larrivee "L" size.
Specifically, if it is possible how it would relate to a dread (of similar
woods, sapele and sitka in this case). The L has a slightly smaller upper
bout and waist, and is a bit deeper.
Anyone out there had a chance to compare the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
I have a truly beautiful L-10 (same as Peter Yarrow's...in fact my
guitar caused a great friendship to form between PP&M and Paul
Prestopino and I, started at the time Peter lost his). Mine is all
tricked out with lots of trim. It's simply the best guitar I've ever
played, bar none. I'm really lucky to have it. I'm a fingerpicker,
and it's perfect for me. It's smaller and, IMO, much more versitile
than a dread.

Best,
Jenn Martin
San Luis Obispo, CA
Wade Hampton Miller
2005-03-15 04:25:37 UTC
Ed, I've owned a couple of Larrivee L bodies, and played scads more. I
think they serve well as flatpicking guitars, plus they work nicely as
fingerpickers, too.

What was particularly instructive is when I owned both an OM-03W and an
L-03W, both in walnut, simultaneously.

The L body was a bit louder and a bit bassier, but lacked the OM's more
refined tone and didn't have quite the same midrange, either.

Anyway, the Larrivee L body is a truly versatile, useful body design,
and I think you'll be happy with it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Ed Edelenbos
2005-03-17 00:19:56 UTC
I've had to wait a day to write this... a couple hours of hesitation and it
sold out from under me. Oh well... another at that price and I'll snap it
up.

As usual, all advice sought and received here is appreciated.

Ed
Geezer
2005-03-17 00:27:46 UTC
Post by Ed Edelenbos
I've had to wait a day to write this... a couple hours of hesitation and
it sold out from under me. Oh well... another at that price and I'll
snap it up.
As usual, all advice sought and received here is appreciated.
Ed
Ouch!

That hurts. There are lots of 'em out there, though. You might give Buffalo
Bros a try as well. They've been very good to me. Of course, there may be
someone here with one to sell....
Good Luck,
Geezer