Waxing the finish on a guitar
Sheldon
2006-12-24 20:03:21 UTC
My new Martin Outback recommended using Johnson's Wax on the guitar to help
make it more weatherproof. The grain on the thing is so open I was afraid
the wax would get stuck in the grain and leave the guitar looking terrible,
but that did not happen and I'm quite pleased with the results, although I
won't know how well it worked till I get caught in the rain, which is a
longshot. The neck has a much better feel to it now.

Martin did recommend, when I emailed them, not to wax over the fingerboard
or bridge, and to use oil if they look "thirsty."

I'm curious if anyone else waxes their instruments, and if there's really
any advantage to it? Johnson's Wax is one of the few paste waxes that gets
good reviews all over the net for furniture and floors, and contains no
silicone. Leaves a satin sheen behind.

Thanks.

Sheldon
Geoff Duncan
2006-12-24 21:56:49 UTC
Post by Sheldon
I'm curious if anyone else waxes their instruments, and if there's really
any advantage to it?
One of my main fingerstyle guitars is a satin finish Martin 000-15S.
I've had it...oh, four or five years, now, and apply a very light
beeswax coating to it once a year or so...usually just before I take it
to an informal annual music shindig an acquaintance hosts at his
farm/ranch/homestead.

The beeswax is a locally-produced culinary beeswax "wood care cream"
made with food-grade ingredients. It's intended for cutting boards,
wooden utensils, and the like. I put a tiny bit on a soft cotton cloth
and rub it in along the grain: it pretty much disappears instantly. I
wipe the guitar down again about half an hour later, but I don't know
that it really picks up any excess.

I apply the wax for two reasons: first, the mahogany top was tending to
pick up body oil from players' forearms (mostly by own) draped over the
top, creating a "glossy" area on the otherwise satin top and bass bout.
The light wax coating seems to keep the oil out, and makes wiping down
the guitar pretty straightforward. With the wax, the shinier area isn't
visible.

Second, for whatever reason, there always seems to be a lawn sprinkler,
dripping tree, just-watered houseplant, a wet wiggly dog, or child's
splish-splash wading pool nearby when I go to this particular wingding.
The first time I went, I noticed the guitar wasn't really repelling
drops/droplets of water - they'd kinda soak in. The wax fixed that right up.

I picked the culinary beeswax from experience with other wax products: a
lot of them use mineral oil, turpentine, or other solvents which give me
a skin reaction - and I didn't particularly want to trick out with red
splotches every time I played this guitar. Despite being allergic to
bees, I've never had a problem with this particular beeswax blend.

I never wax the fingerboard, bridge, neck, or headstock. The back of the
neck has picked up a nice gloss finish just from elbow grease;
fingerboard gets a hint of lemon oil when I clean it, maybe once a year
or every 18 months.

gd
--
Geoff Duncan http://www.quibble.com/geoff/
(The email address above is invalid; see Web page to contact privately)
Wade Hampton Miller
2006-12-24 23:14:28 UTC
Post by Sheldon
My new Martin Outback recommended using Johnson's Wax on the guitar to help
make it more weatherproof.
Sheldon, I don't wax my guitars. But I was curious about your new
"Martin Outback" guitar. That's not a Martin model I'm familiar with.
A search at the Martin website drew a blank, and a Google Images search
came up with lots of pictures of the Australian hinterlands, but no
guitars.

Is your guitar a Martin Backpacker, by any chance? That's one I am
familiar with.

Wade Hampton Miller
Chugiak, Alaska
Ed Edelenbos

Ed
Sheldon
2006-12-25 00:19:24 UTC
Post by Wade Hampton Miller
Post by Sheldon
My new Martin Outback recommended using Johnson's Wax on the guitar to help
make it more weatherproof.
Sheldon, I don't wax my guitars. But I was curious about your new
"Martin Outback" guitar. That's not a Martin model I'm familiar with.
A search at the Martin website drew a blank, and a Google Images search
came up with lots of pictures of the Australian hinterlands, but no
guitars.
Is your guitar a Martin Backpacker, by any chance? That's one I am
familiar with.
Wade Hampton Miller
Chugiak, Alaska
Backpacker. My mistake. Most Martins I've seen, including my own 000, have
either a flat or glossy finish that completely seals the wood, except
usually the fingerboard and bridge. The Backpacker has an open grain that
looks like it has no finish, but Martin assured me it does have a light
coating of sealer on it. The neck almost feels like "raw" wood, and the wax
smoothed that right out without caking in the grain. I used very little.
Just enough so you could tell it was going on. Starts shiny then goes to
satin quickly and buffs to satin.

I did a little research, and it seems like paste wax can bring back the
shine where guitars normally wear, like where your forearm brushes against
the top. The problem is what to use. Meguires makes kits especially for
guitars, and some swear by beeswax. Johnson's claim to fame is that it
contains no silicone, which is not good to use on anything.
Misifus
2006-12-25 04:27:53 UTC
Post by Sheldon
Post by Wade Hampton Miller
Post by Sheldon
[...]
I wouldn't put wax on a guitar, however, on a Backpacker it can't hurt.

-Raf
--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert
Sheldon
2006-12-25 05:05:01 UTC
David Hajicek
2006-12-25 16:32:48 UTC
Post by Sheldon
Post by Misifus
Post by Sheldon
Post by Wade Hampton Miller
Post by Sheldon
[...]
Well, you never know when you might have to use it as a paddle or a
weapon. I have to admit, I've never seen the waxing suggestion in any
other Martin literature except the Backpacker. My only problem now is
that the can of Johnson's Wax is huge, although it didn't cost much. A
lifetime supply, to be handed down to my children and grandchildren. :-)
I don't see the wax itself as a problem, it is inert. Many custom makers
give the finish a wax coat for protection and shine. The issue, if any, is
the solvents and oils used in the wax. Mineral spirits is common, and not a
problem. Turpentine is more active and will attack some finishes. But the
wax itself is ok. One just needs to remove it if you are going to work on
the finish.

Dave Hajicek
Sheldon
2006-12-25 20:26:38 UTC
Post by David Hajicek
Post by Sheldon
Post by Misifus
Post by Sheldon
Post by Wade Hampton Miller
Post by Sheldon
[...]
My understanding is that pure wax is as hard as a rock, so you must have a
solvent in it to use it. Johnson's is the only one recommended by Martin,
so there must be something in it they like, or something missing from it
they don't like.
Mike Marquis
2006-12-25 18:13:55 UTC
When I asked Jamie Kinscherff was to use on my Kinscherff he told just use
Turtle Wax (!!!!). So that is what I've been using. Seems to work fine,
except that near grooves and joints it can build up and require a toothpick
to remove it.

Merry Christmas

Mike
Post by Misifus
Misifus
2006-12-26 06:14:38 UTC
Post by Misifus
Post by Sheldon
Post by Wade Hampton Miller
Post by Sheldon
[...]
I don't want to mislead anyone. I seem to recall a discussion of this
here, several years ago, and I thought that the conclusion was that
polishes (silicon free, of course) were good, but that waxes could build
up. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

-Raf
Sheldon
2006-12-26 21:09:50 UTC
Post by Misifus
Post by Sheldon
Post by Wade Hampton Miller
Post by Sheldon
[...]
IMHO most paste waxes have a bit of solvent in them to keep them soft.
Otherwise you would have a can of wax as hard as a rock. So, everytime you
apply a coat of wax you invariably remove or soften what's on there already.
This keeps the layer of wax at pretty much the same thickness no matter how
many times you apply it. A polish is nothing more than a wax with some
cleaners and often some mild abrasives thrown in.
Zeke Skarland
2006-12-26 21:18:23 UTC
Misifus wrote:>
Post by Misifus
I don't want to mislead anyone. I seem to recall a discussion of this
here, several years ago, and I thought that the conclusion was that
polishes (silicon free, of course) were good, but that waxes could build
up. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
-Raf
Excellent point. I've been sitting here wondering if some of us are
mistaking wax with polish. Sometimes they're used interchangably, even
though they aren't. E.g. "I'm going to wax the car" when really a
polish is being used.

To OP: if it were me, I'd use what the manufacturer recommended. If
you're at all concerned, just do a little test area where it won't be a
big deal if the negative effects you're worried about happen. Good
luck, let us know what you find out.
David Hajicek
2006-12-27 00:01:56 UTC
Post by Zeke Skarland
Misifus wrote:>
Post by Misifus
I don't want to mislead anyone. I seem to recall a discussion of this
here, several years ago, and I thought that the conclusion was that
polishes (silicon free, of course) were good, but that waxes could build
up. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
-Raf
Excellent point. I've been sitting here wondering if some of us are
mistaking wax with polish. Sometimes they're used interchangably, even
though they aren't. E.g. "I'm going to wax the car" when really a
polish is being used.
To OP: if it were me, I'd use what the manufacturer recommended. If
you're at all concerned, just do a little test area where it won't be a
big deal if the negative effects you're worried about happen. Good
luck, let us know what you find out.
Polish would include an abrasive to smooth out scratches in the finish. Wax
does not.

Polish too often and you can wear through the finish.

Dave Hajicek.

David Hajicek