OT configuring Thunderbird for eternal-september
StephenCalder
2011-08-01 05:15:30 UTC
If you are having no luck with usenet and newsgroups, you can get free
access to this news server:

news.eternal-september.org

Free registration is available at:

http://eternal-september.org/

I just successfully configured Thunderbird 3.1.11 for this server.
Here's how:

When you register you will be given a password which you will need at
step 15 below

1. In Thunderbird, click File/New/Other Accounts
2. Click the button to select "newsgroup account"
3. Click "Next"
4. Enter your choice of displayed name
5. Enter an email address other users can see
6. Enter the name of the newsgroup server: news.eternal-september.org
7. Enter your choice of name to describe the eternal-september account
8. Click Finish, or Back to make corrections, then Finish
9. Click on the name of the account now listed in the left pane in
Thunderbird
10. Click on View Settings. Your chosen name and email address are shown.
11. In the left window below the new account name, select Server
Settings. Important: be sure you are selecting the Serve Settings for
the account you just created and no other.
12. Check the box: "Always request authentication"
13. Important: do not change any outgoing server settings. Use the same
outgoing server settings as you use for email
14. Back in Thunderbird, make sure your new account is selected and
click on "Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions". In the window, click on
Current Group tab. If no groups appear, click "refresh".
15. Be very careful at this point to respond with the correct
information. Don't enter the password when it's asking for your
username. The server will ask for your username first. You must enter
only the username you registered with at eternal-september. Then it will
ask for your password, which you received in an email from
eternal-september (or your current one if you changed it).
16. If you make or have made a mistake at Step 15 (wrong username or
password), close Thunderbird, reopen it and repeat from step 14.
17. If you receive the message "invalid credentials", check that you
have carefully and accurately followed Steps 1-13. If not, repeat from
Step 6.
18. Back in the Subscribe window, you should still be in the Current
Groups tab. If no newsgroups are listed, click "Refresh.".
19. Select the news groups to subscribe to, making you sure do two
things. Check the box next to the group you want and click on
"Subscribe" in the window.
20. Follow the prompts to choose how many messages to download for each
group The default of 500 will get you started. If you want more later,
click on the newsgroup in the pane at the left in Thunderbird (not the
account name) and then click File/Get Next/500 messages
21. Use the View menu to customise how your messages are displayed
--
Stephen
Ballina, NSW
Larry Brown
2011-08-04 17:47:30 UTC
Post by StephenCalder
[...]
So this is so much "better" than just using google groups eh? This
looks about as user friendly as filling out a tax form.
Tony Done
2011-08-04 20:03:21 UTC
hank alrich
2011-08-05 16:06:41 UTC
Post by Larry Brown
Post by StephenCalder
[...]
******************
ES isn't as user-friendly to set up as GG, but at least it works. I'm
running it into Windows Live Mail, the set up wasn't that bad, and once it
is set up it is no trouble to use. - The front end now looks exactly the
same as my ISP news server, when the latter is working, which it currently
isn't.
For those using ES, it doesn't, at least into WLM, have a right click to
delete threads (eg trolls, spam), but Control[d]y does the trick. You cant
do that at all in GG.
Tony D
I'd wager user-friendly or not has more to do with one's newsreader and
less to do with the server. I used the Berlin server for their modest
fee for quite a while, but when my credit card renewed they didn't keep
up and automatically continue my acct. I tried briefly to deal with them
but I ran out of time and patience and decided to try Eternal September.
Setup fot that was a matter of telling MacSOUP what server to use, and
that was it.

http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Tony Done
2011-08-05 20:35:29 UTC
Post by Larry Brown
Post by StephenCalder
[...]

*************

That's true. The big step with ES is getting your news reader to access all
the groups, all it downloads the first time are the ES support groups. After
searching these files, I found that accessing the rest comes down to ticking
the "login" and "remember password" boxes or equivalent when configuring the
reader, IIRC.

Tony D
dsi1
2011-08-05 22:18:23 UTC
Post by hank alrich
I'd wager user-friendly or not has more to do with one's newsreader and
less to do with the server.
*************
That's true. The big step with ES is getting your news reader to access
all the groups, all it downloads the first time are the ES support
groups. After searching these files, I found that accessing the rest
comes down to ticking the "login" and "remember password" boxes or
equivalent when configuring the reader, IIRC.
Tony D
If you want to see the complete list of the newsgroups, you have to
check the "always request authentication when connecting to this server"
box in the server settings menu. The Thunderbird default is to have this
unchecked. That's the part that trips most people up when using T-bird
and other readers with the eternal-september server. If you're using
Microsoft Live Mail to read newsgroups, you might not have to do this -
at least you don't have to do this in Outlook Express 6.
Tony Done
2011-08-05 22:38:22 UTC
Post by hank alrich
[...]

You have to do something like that in WLM.

Tony D
dsi1
2011-08-05 23:00:33 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by hank alrich
[...]
I'll have to take your word for it. I'm not a big fan of OE-6 and assume
that Windows Live Mail is pretty much the same program. Would this be a
correct assumption? If you say it's a pretty good program, I'll check it
out. I'm using Thunderbird 5.
Tony Done
2011-08-05 23:11:34 UTC
dsi1
2011-08-05 23:39:02 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by dsi1
Post by hank alrich
[...]
I haven't found WLM to be much different to OE, but I think it is more
comprehensive. I've forgotten a lot of OE6's features because it is a
long time since I needed to change the settings. I've been using ES for
about a week or two now, and it seems pretty good for my simple needs,
very much like my ISP (Bigpond) news server when the latter is working
properly. It is text only, no binaries or warez.
Tony D
My eternal-september server seems to be more reliable and faster than my
usenet-news.net account. I paid for a block of data on usenet-news so
sometimes free is better I guess. :-)

StephenCalder
2011-08-05 02:40:44 UTC
Post by Larry Brown
So this is so much "better" than just using google groups eh? This
looks about as user friendly as filling out a tax form.
Not quite as bad a it looks. Takes very little time in practice as long
as you follow procedure. I didn't say antyhing about Google Groups, but
we've seen a lot of complaints.

For me, Thunderbird is an excellent mail and news reader.
--
Stephen
Ballina, NSW
Oliver Wendell Douglas
2011-08-05 08:45:46 UTC
Post by StephenCalder
If you are having no luck with usenet and newsgroups, you can get free
news.eternal-september.org
http://eternal-september.org/
I just successfully configured Thunderbird 3.1.11 for this server.
I did too , only because I followed those instructions.
muchas gracias, senor Calder.

OWD